Saturday, January 3, 2015

[Review] Reaper by L.S. Murphy

Reaper


Authors: L.S. Murphy
Release date: October 14, 2014
Pages: 212
Reasons why I picked it up: summary
Genre: paranormal, YA
 
Summary:  
There's no way sixteen year old Quincy Amarante will become the fifth grim reaper. None. Not over her shiny blue Mustang. Her Jimmy Choos. Or her dead body.
She’s supposed to enjoy her sophomore year, not learn about some freaky future Destiny says she has no choice but to fulfill.
It doesn’t take long for Quincy to realize the only way out of the game is to play along especially since Death can find her anyway, anywhere, anytime. And does.
Like when she’s reassuring her friends she wants nothing to do with former best friend Ben Moorland, who’s returned from god-knows-where, and fails. Miserably.
Instead of maintaining her coveted popularity status, Quincy’s goes down like the Titanic.
Maybe ... just maybe ... that’s okay.
It seems, perhaps, becoming a grim reaper isn’t just about the dead but more about a much needed shift in Quincy’s priorities—from who she thinks she wants to be to who she really is.
 



My Review

If you thought there couldn't possibly be a main character more annoying than the one from the House of Night series, you're in for a surprise.

Quincy Amarante gives Zoey Redbird a run for her money.

This book is short but boy, does it feel like it never ends. Mostly because I wanted to strangle the MC, but also, for the most part, there was not much going on about the premise, just the freaking usual school drama.

Throughout the story, except for the last 3 chapters (which the other half star is for), Quincy is judgemental, self-absorbed, shallow and has a holier-than-thou attitude.

Here's the main reasons why I wanted to throw this book out the window:

 

1. She comments on other people's looks and social status like it's the most important thing in the world (even if it's not all in the dialogue, it's in the narrative)

[...] and last year for prom when I was the only freshman who was asked. Jordan’s never been.

I toss a smug smile over my shoulder at her. She’s not much to worry about, anyway. Her thick thighs would turn any guy off, and I seriously doubt she’s got a man.

I hurry to the closet to plan my outfit and grab a new off-white sweater DeeDee will turn green over. She can never pull the color off. I add my favorite tight jeans to prove I’m in shape for the stupid basketball game. My body is so much better than DeeDee’s, and it’s time she remembers that.

“Only nerds are manager, Jor. I won’t be a manager, and I won’t be on the team as some backup. I earned my spot.”
[...]
I’ve offended her beyond what a bestie is allowed. Especially since she serves as both the backup and the manager, but I don’t care at the moment.


 

2. She can draw some really idiotic conclusions

If you stuff your face in alcohol after your grandpa's funeral, in front of your boyfriend, and want to have sex with him in the attic, your conclusion after he pushes you away is "he doesn't want me" and then get furious and go all like "OMG I can't believe you don't know why I'm mad at you"?!?

God, WTF is your problem, Quincy? O_O


3. Eating disorder

Can you stop commenting on your eating salads and low-fat yogurt, and being afraid of eating an omelette, burger, fries, or whatever? I seriously doubt what you ate on your birthday day will make you be "on the verge of bursting out of your clothes", and therefore needing to rattle on about all the exercising you did to compensate the "food binge".


4. The becoming a reaper part (which should be, I don't know, the backbone of the story) barely takes some pages of the book, when it's Quincy freaking out about it and being in denial, and Destiny and Forsyth freezing time and taking her to death scenes, which doesn't really do much to teach her, IMO, save when it's her own Grandpa (yet, it's only on the last four chapters that she shows a tiny bit of character growth).

 

5. Oh yeah, and the inane sentences throw around every now and then...

...which I didn't bother to write all down, but there are more, and here's the one that made me sputter:

I’m a hollow shell -- empty inside.

Hmmm really? That needed an explanation? *eyeroll*


6. Ben was the only likeable character, and still he was a little bit of over-glorified by Quincy.




There, I know that's not much of a review, but I actually just wanted to vent. Anyway, I don't recommend this book at all, it was not cute, not funny and not intriguing; it was just about a selfish teenager destined-to-become-a-reaper bitching about how unfair her easy life is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment